How cold has it been in Dawson lately?
Chris Ross, formerly Chris Beacom, texted me earlier this year to tell me his book was about to be published and I should buy it because I’m in it.
Following last Sunday’s death of Alex Trebek, the bilingual Canadian who hosted the Jeopardy! quiz show for 36 years, CBC TV interviewed the winning contestant from the episode telecast Nov. 5; it had been taped several weeks earlier.
In my 48 years at the Whitehorse Star, I have seen six editors and countless reporters, advertising staff members, production personnel and paper boys and girls pass through our doors.
- Constant minimum wage boosts create risk: chamber (25)
- NDP pushes for permanent paid sick days for all illnesses (24)
- Rally goers protest no-cause evictions, end of rent caps (21)
- Realigned fines proposed for maintenance bylaw (18)
- A premier Pillai wouldn’t call a snap election (18)
- MLAs approve motion on statutory holiday (16)
- Dog mushing group disappointed with act’s handling (12)
- Quotas called outfitting industry’s ‘lifeblood’ (12)
Subscribers only access
November 18, 2022
- Disappointment, disagreement and lessons learned (Editorial) As could be expected, the reactions to this week’s jarring demise of the territory’s bid to stage the 2027 Canada Winter Games cover a wide spectrum.
- We are now eight billion and counting I must have missed the memo, because there was no newborn baby picked out at random on Tuesday to be the designated eight billionth human being.
November 10, 2022
- Musings on living in unprecedented times (Uffish Thoughts) When it comes time to select the most ubiquitous word of the year for 2022, surely the word “unprecedented” must get the nod for most overworked expression.
November 9, 2022
- The people of Haiti urgently need assistance (Comment) Ed. note: Morgan Wienberg made these remarks to the House of Commons Subcommittee on International Human Rights last Friday.
November 7, 2022
- Climate, Cairo and the Amazon’s survival This year’s United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP27) opened in Cairo on Sunday and continues for two weeks.
November 2, 2022
- The benign sociopath’s adventure begins Elon Musk is that rarest of things, a benign sociopath – and therefore a person of considerable value to the world.