How cold has it been in Dawson lately?
Chris Ross, formerly Chris Beacom, texted me earlier this year to tell me his book was about to be published and I should buy it because I’m in it.
Following last Sunday’s death of Alex Trebek, the bilingual Canadian who hosted the Jeopardy! quiz show for 36 years, CBC TV interviewed the winning contestant from the episode telecast Nov. 5; it had been taped several weeks earlier.
In my 48 years at the Whitehorse Star, I have seen six editors and countless reporters, advertising staff members, production personnel and paper boys and girls pass through our doors.
- Extended CASA contains host of new measures (55)
- ‘We’ve run nurses to the end of their workability’ (32)
- Pillai has acquiesced to NDP agenda: Dixon (29)
- YP being selective about gov’t size: Liberals (20)
- New 87-unit rental development opens in Whistle Bend (16)
- Board rejects Peel exploration proposal (15)
- City loses a popular mainstay of the community (12)
- Proposed fines address taxi security issues (9)
Subscribers only access
February 1, 2023
- Reform is really such a tricky concept (Uffish Thoughts) “Reform” has to be one of the most overworked and misused words in everyone’s political lexicon.
- Ukraine: Will the Western tanks bring a victory? (Comment) On Jan. 24, they reset the Doomsday Clock to 90 seconds before midnight.
January 30, 2023
- Polling the persistence of pressured politicians “All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs,” wrote British politician Enoch Powell half a century ago.
January 27, 2023
- Balancing public safety and the northern lifestyle (Editorial) An upbeat Marco Mendicino, the federal minister of Public Safety, exclaimed all the right things before, during and after his northern foray, but the acid test will be the Liberal government’s final version of Bill C-21.
January 23, 2023
- We’re addressing the substance use emergency (Comment) Ed. note: Health and Social Services Minister Tracy-Anne McPhee issued this statement Friday.
- I know a bad law when I see it, Mr. Mendicino Ed. note: longtime Yukoner Bill Klassen made these remarks at last Thursday evening’s roundtable on Bill C-21 with federal Public Security Minister Marco Mendicino and Yukon MP Brendan Hanley.
January 20, 2023
- Sometimes the present resembles the past (Uffish Thoughts) It’s funny how some things don’t seem to change very much with the passage of years.
- ‘The sky is open to those who have wings’ (Comment) Canvassing candidate: “Vote Liberal! It’d be a good buy!”
- Review COVID mRNA shots yesterday! “We found one serious adverse event for each 800 (Moderna/Pfizer) vaccinees.”
January 16, 2023
- ‘We don’t do notches on the rifle butt’ (Comment) Where do you look when somebody says: “In the age of Apaches and laptops, everything I did in the course of two combat tours was recorded, time-stamped.