Whitehorse Daily Star

Image title

Photo by Photo Submitted

MID-AIR COLLISION – Yukon Brewing's Michael Hamilton (left) and Pepsi's Stephen Doyle go up for the ball while Eric Murphy watches.

Image title

Photo by Photo Submitted

ANOTHER COLLISION – Yukoninfo.com's keeper James McCullough collides with Air North's Carlos Astorquiza during a quarterfinal game between the two teams at at the Canada Games Centre Saturday.

Image title

Photo by Photo Submitted

WHOA NELLY – Air North's Carlos Astorquiza pulls back to avoid a kick by Yukoninfo.com's captain Miles Hume.

Image title

Photo by Photo Submitted

SEND IT – Yukoninfo.com's Tebago Kebadiretse sends the ball toward Air North keeper Sean Macdonald and past Air North's Jan van der Hoorn (second from left) and Joel Odulio, while Miles Hume (far right) watches.

Image title

Photo by Photo Submitted

WINCE WHILE YOU WORK – Air North's Joel Odulio heads the ball while Yukoninfo.com's Tebago Kebadiretse (centre) and Air North's Alejandro Pulido watch.

Image title

Photo by Photo Submitted

QUICK KICK – Yukon Brewing's Chris Harwood kicks the ball out of harm's way while his teammate Ciaran Connelly looks on during Over-35 men's league quarterfinal action at the Canada Games Centre on Saturday. Pepsi won the game over Yukon Brewing.

Air North scores extra-time win over Yukoninfo.com to move on

The Men's Over-35 league opened their playoffs with quarterfinal action at the Canada Games Centre in Whitehorse Saturday.

By Submitted on March 19, 2024

The Men's Over-35 league opened their playoffs with quarterfinal action at the Canada Games Centre in Whitehorse Saturday.

In the first game, Driving Force edged Chieftain 4-3, with Chieftain scoring a third goal late to make it close.

Driving home the victory for Driving Force were Pat Zuccarini, Michael Marceau, Keith Welch and Jesse Koeller.

Guliano Rayo replied with two goals for Chieftain, with Driving Force also giving up an own goal.

Pepsi (Red) vs. Yukon Brewing (Black)

This was a tight, intense game that was tied 1-1 at the end of the first half.

In the first half, Charles McLeod scored for Yukon Brewing. Stephen Doyle tied it for Pepsi.

Franklin Fru wasted no time in the second half, putting Pepsi ahead 2-1 in the first minute.

John Hawkins added another goal to put Pepsi up 3-1 with a little over 22 minutes left in the second half.

Michael Bores notched a goal to pull Yukon Brewing within one, 3-2.

Doyle notched his second goal for Pepsi on a breakaway to restore their two-goal lead with about 17 minutes left.

Jurgen Korn scored to put Pepsi up 5-2 and practically put the game out of reach with about nine minutes left.

Adiwori Adejobi scored late to make the final score 6-2 for Pepsi.

Pepsi's Hawkins said it was a fun game.

"I think we just got some balls that bounced into the net and they just hit the posts a few times. It was really tight, but we got a few more goals."

The game was a little higher scoring than expected.

"It's pretty rare that we score this many in a game," said Hawkins. "It's nice to heat up for playoffs."

When asked about the key to victory, Hawkins replied, "Probably Franklin scoring goals, setting a lot up. Working hard defensively."

Regarding the semifinals, Hawkins said he's excited.

"I think it'll be a close game. It doesn't matter who we play. It's all been pretty close this year."

Yukoninfo.com (Orange) vs. Air North (Blue)

The third game of the day featured two teams with no subs on the benches. Adriano Lamberti opened the scoring for Air North.

Yukoninfo had numerous scoring chances in the first half but couldn't find the back of the net. The half ended 1-0 Air North.

Jan van der Hoorn turned his ankle in the second half to temporarily put Blue down a man with 19:46 left in the second half, but surprisingly came back into the game shortly afterwards, which ended up paying dividends for the team in blue.

Tebago Kebadiretse (also know as the "big, tall guy") finally broke through the Air North defence, putting a close-range shot past keeper Sean Macdonald, who had an outstanding game for the Blue side.

Kebadiretse tied it with about 12 minutes left in the second half.

Matthew Larsen scored to make it 2-1 for Yukoninfo.com.

van der Hoorn scored with about six minutes left in the second half to pull Blue even.

Miles Hume scored to make it 3-2 Orange late in the half.

However, high drama was to follow.

van der Hoorn scored again to make it 3-3 with about a minute left in the second half.

Regulation time ended with the score knotted at 3, forcing a full five-minute overtime, followed by a shootout if necessary.

The teams would play five full minutes, no matter how many goals were scored.

Air North's Carlos Astorquiza played the hero, scoring with about two minutes left in extra time to put the Blue squad up 4-3.

The game ended 4-3 for Air North.

Astorquiza thought the winning goal was "awesome.

"It was a hard game. I didn't sleep last night. I don't know if I want to play next season because it's too much anxiety the night before, so to not sleep and I score the winning goal. Yeah!," he exclaimed.

Astorquiza said the key to the win was playing as a team.

"We did not have two of our best players. We didn't have any subs. So play as a team, try not to get tired, try not to run too much, try to pass the ball more, but it was good."

van der Hoorn was seen limping off after the pitch after his heroic two-goal effort.

"Everybody's hurt, but everybody's happy," said Astorquiza.

Be the first to comment

Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar

In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.

Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.