Photo by Whitehorse Star
Three Yukoners are facing drug-related charges following recent arrests by the RCMP Crime Reduction Unit (CRU).
On July 21, police said Monday, officers arrested 20-year-old Abdullah Sidat and executed a search warrant at a residence on College Drive in Whitehorse.
They seized a handgun which was determined to be stolen from Washington State, ammunition and cell phones.
Sidat has been charged with:
• trafficking a controlled substance under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act; and
• various firearms charges under the Criminal Code, including possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and possession of a loaded prohibited weapon.
Sidat was released after appearing in territorial court, and is scheduled to reappear on Aug. 19.
Last Thursday, CRU officers conducted a traffic stop in downtown Whitehorse, resulting in the arrests of two people.
Officers seized cash, cell phones, digital scales, suspected cocaine, fentanyl, codeine and Diazepam tablets.
Ronald Asuchak, 62, and Helen Tizya, 47, have been charged with:
• trafficking a controlled substance;
• four counts of possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking; and
• possession of property obtained by crime, under the Criminal Code.
Asuchak was held in custody for a court appearance scheduled for Tuesday.
Tiyza was released by the territorial court on conditions and will next appear in court on Aug. 19.
Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar
In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.
Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.
- City workers’ parking will cost $3,000 per stall (29)
- Yukon Pride Festival to kick off with historic flag raisings (23)
- Air North named best airline by Tripadvisor (21)
- Drug deaths ‘a cause for real concern’ (19)
- Positives seen in safe drugs site concept (9)
- RCMP offering tips to help avoid thefts from vehicles (7)
- Territory’s third reopening phase to dawn Saturday (6)
- YG warns of possible COVID exposure here and in Dawson (4)