Whitehorse Daily Star

Image title

Photo by Whitehorse Star

The Pride Parade seen last year will not be happening this year. Instead some virtual events and some in-person events will take place.

Image title

Photo by Photo Submitted

Shaun Ladue

Yukon Pride Festival to kick off with historic flag raisings

The Yukon government will launch the 2020 Yukon Pride Festival at 9 a.m. Friday by raising the Progress Pride Flag at the legislative assembly building for the first time in the territory’s history.

By Whitehorse Star on July 30, 2020

The flag features the contemporary six colours of the rainbow pride flag as well as a hoist in the shape of an arrow. It points toward the work that needs to be done by the LGBTQ2S+ community on issues of racism and transphobia.

The hoist features five half-sized stripes representing trans individuals (light blue, light pink, white), people of colour communities, as well as those living with AIDS, those no longer living, and the stigma surrounding them.

The flag raising event is set to be opened by two spirit community leader Shaun Ladue.

It will feature an honour song by Dennis Shorty and Jenny Frohling from Ross River.

Greetings are planned from Premier Sandy Silver and Jeanie Dendys, the minister responsible for the Women’s Directorate.

Joe Wickenhauser, the executive director of the Yukon Pride Centre, will close the ceremony.

The flag raising will be followed by another flag raising at 10 a.m. at city hall with Mayor Dan Curtis, where the Progress Pride Flag will also be raised for the first time by the municipal government.

Curtis proclaimed Pride Week in Whitehorse last Monday.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, members of the public are urged to watch from home.

The Town of Watson Lake will also raise the pride flag for the first time in the town’s history on Friday morning at the recreation centre.

The event is set to feature speeches by Mayor Cheryl O’Biren and Patti McLeod, the riding’s Yukon Party MLA.

The City of Dawson proclaimed LGBTQ2SIA+ Day on July 14 and has been flying the rainbow flag at the town hall since that day.

The Yukon Pride Festival’s theme this year, “Remote Connections”, invites all Yukoners to be part of the Pride celebrations.

The festival will take place Aug.1-9.

It will include online and in-person events ranging from the Pride Paddle, Coming Out Campfire, Queer Kitchen Challenge, to online film screenings, drag, musical, and burlesque performances, storytelling with Ivan Coyote and more.

Comments (23)

Up 2 Down 1

Acquired opinion on Aug 4, 2020 at 9:04 am

I am not against gay people in any way shape or form. Over the years these are some of the most kind considerate people that I have engaged with both at work and in social happenings. I have trouble with two issues though. One is why this community wants special treatment at events now with their own special tent and the works. They've gone from wanting to be accepted (which I have no issue with) to wanting to be special because of their sexual orientation. Some do it because this is the only way they can garner attention in an otherwise boring situation. (Do what ever you want but don't rub everyone else's face in it every time you can). Two : Why do they get to use every color of the rainbow for their representation. I see this as self-centered and greedy.
Carry on gay community, you truly are some of our best citizens only lighten up a bit with the advertising please.

Up 1 Down 1

Steven on Aug 4, 2020 at 7:45 am

A lot of people always run to the "who cares who you sleep with" argument, like that's the only thing involved.

I would like the right to walk down the street, holding my partner's hand, WITHOUT being harassed about it. I would like to be able to kiss him, and show normal affection, without having to look over my shoulder to see if someone is scowling, or waiting until we get to a secluded place (or not even) so they can beat the shit out of us.

Hetero people can do this all the time, everywhere, all over the world, and no one thinks twice. Homo/Bi/Etc people cannot. So don't tell me that "[I] have had the same rights as [you] forever", or "most of humanity just don't give a tinkers who you choose to sleep with or whether you want to refer to yourself as he, she, it, Volvo or that insanely dumb alphabet mumbo jumbo".

Because you are wrong. So, so, very wrong.

Up 1 Down 2

EJ on Aug 4, 2020 at 12:27 am

Reminder for everyone - there are still people who vote against LGBTQ rights when issues pertaining to them are raised in the legislature. Half of the Yukon Party (conservative) voted against them just last year. Looking at you MLAs Stacey Hazzard, Patti Mcleod and Brad Cathers!! I expect and hope Mr. Dixon puts a muzzle on all three of you now that he is leader. Out with these ideological Cons!

Up 2 Down 0

Guncache on Aug 3, 2020 at 7:17 pm

I wonder what the public outcry would be if there was a straight Anglo Saxon parade? Would City Hall even allow it? Can we design a flag and raise it? Why is there a need to tell everyone they are gay, they are not a he/she, it etc.

Up 2 Down 0

Dave on Aug 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Careful woodcutter, your inclusive hatred of others is showing through.

Resident, really people died for - huh? Not in this territory or country. Exaggerate much?

Up 10 Down 14

Resident on Aug 3, 2020 at 1:10 pm

It truly is amazing how quickly time dulls memory.

LGBT+ community has pride events because their acceptance was a hard-fought battle that people died for. And that acceptance is on shaky ground and could easily disappear should they become complacent. This isn't over, acceptance is not universal. People are not minding their own business.

I'm a lily-white straight woman and even I know that there's an active segment of society that would happily stuff these people right back in the closet or worse. Hopefully we won't need pride events in 20 years because truly, no one will care.

Up 9 Down 20

woodcutter on Aug 3, 2020 at 10:06 am

@ wood cutter chopper... showing your fragility. Perhaps if the Whitehorse star wasn't filtering my comments, the real message would have really caused the right wing nuts to blow a gasket.

As it is, let's start a homophobe parade, in the name of inclusivity, which the cons seem to be challenged in actually performing, while paying lip service.

Up 9 Down 21

YukonMax on Aug 3, 2020 at 6:29 am

I said many times that Gay and French issues cannot be in the papers for the "GENERAL" Yukon readers. Nothing good comes out of the readers comments ever. So, either you really enjoy the bashing or you are totally ignorant of the hurt it causes to many.

Up 28 Down 5

Groucho d'North on Aug 2, 2020 at 5:07 pm

I am amazed at all the angst about which gender people choose to have sex with or identify as. Why do so many feel they have to promote, or justify their choice? We also seem to be forgetting those who for some reason cannot have sex with anybody else. I felt sorry for myself because I had no lover - until I met a man who had no hands. Everybody should just mind their own business.

Up 28 Down 6

Woodcutter Chopper on Aug 1, 2020 at 3:17 pm

Woodcutters typical lefty comment using a derogeratory word to put down other people in the name of supporting inclusivity. If someone uses words on leftists though they call it hate and get all emotional about how oppressed they are.

Up 20 Down 8

Josey Wales on Aug 1, 2020 at 1:48 pm

Hey Vlad...as I wish not to mislead, but speak what I think (based on facts & evidence) the truth as much as the host permits.
Yes for that I am grateful as most media comment sites are either HEAVILY moderated, saturated with liberal ideologies via moderation or so biased it makes me puuuuke.

That said Vlad "Josey Wales" is not my actual name, but a moniker.
If ya genuinely did not know, most certainly do now.

We live in insane times, a complete cancel culture full of soldiers of virtue whom are essentially Orcs in my view.
I live in the real world, one that extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence...hence my offending so soooo many on a daily basis in actual and virtual time.

So yeah...I have a few things to say these days.
Many, not all...wish me and folks as me say nothing but just take it.
Nope!

Precisely why I used that example circa 1930s "western view point" .
As I am old like dirt, I remember well the "advocates" hyperbolic perception of history of being gay.

Sure some bigots had issues, just like today...imagine?
I think back then folks all lived their lives in the closet, not just gay folks.
Different times then, folks never felt the need to boast to the planet..their sexuality gay or not.

Vlad thanks for your support, but accolades are not important to me as others researching things of interest, research the researchers from either side of an argument...and formulate ones own sense of society, culture and politics.

Blind faith is essentially "Drinking the Kool Aid" ( Jim Jones master manipulator)
...I drink water.

Up 11 Down 44

Woodcutter on Aug 1, 2020 at 11:07 am

Let que up the homophobes, same cast of characters as can be expected.

Up 23 Down 9

vlad on Aug 1, 2020 at 9:47 am

@BnR - You have just confirmed that Josey is right on. Then Josey has the guts to use his name behind his comments. You don't.

Up 18 Down 4

Manual transmission on Aug 1, 2020 at 8:57 am

Anie, the most relevant and accurate comment on the whole issue. (not sure about referring to anyone as a Volvo though - some of those old Swedish models have very dodgy trannies and very oily gear) .

Up 40 Down 8

Tuff Knut on Jul 31, 2020 at 11:54 pm

At BnR - JW is correct. Being a straight white male is, by today’s standards, an offence in and of itself. You are deluded and more than likely floridly psychotic. And all of this has occurred without any foundational evidence to support the construction of white privileged or the manufacture of systemic racism or even some form of genderism. It’s like a bunch of you have gone bat-guano crazy trying to destroy everything and anything. “You people” would be better off tightening each other’s screws... Then come back and have a rational discussion. We will wait!

Up 20 Down 10

Josey Wales on Jul 31, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Hey BnR says ewe, but no FG.
Guess since your brain not running, clearly missed the point...as per.
You read more like a rabid ideologue, a perpetual victim and a pit bull of dissenters.
All of which invalidates any sense of discourse, which is precisely what ewe and your minions...politically correct bootlickers shutting down all whom are not they. wish for.

Between you and the messiah of virtue..patti, clearly see OJW...and get all vitriolic and self righteous.
Oh yeah, my facts care little of your "feelings"

Up 24 Down 13

JC on Jul 31, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Great comment Josey. Said it all. My comment wasn't near as descriptive, but the WS saw it as offensive. Glad they printed yours, Anie's, and BNRs though.

Up 10 Down 50

EJ on Jul 31, 2020 at 6:20 pm

Pride flag at the Leg Assembly? The Yukon Party conservatives will not be happy about this! Too bad so sad for them though. Good job Libs.

Up 75 Down 17

Anie on Jul 31, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Dear LGBQ2SIA+ community - please pay attention: most of humanity just don't give a tinkers who you choose to sleep with or whether you want to refer to yourself as he, she, it, Volvo or that insanely dumb alphabet mumbo jumbo. Surely there are serious social issues that deserve all of our attention. You are just not that important.

Up 27 Down 53

BnR on Jul 31, 2020 at 3:03 pm

"These days being straight/white is like being gay/non white in the 1930s, completely open to attack with ZERO consequences."
Josey, you're even more deluded than usual.
Another old white guy worried that things are changing.

Up 67 Down 26

Josey Wales on Jul 31, 2020 at 11:20 am

I get the equal rights thing, they have had the same rights as me forever.
Just like the cultural elites, they want more rights than most...a protected society.

Seems everyone now has some special status, additional rights than most humans.
Called political correctness, pandering, virtue signaling of the biggest kind.
So you are gay, so what..who really cares?

Enjoy your time in the spotlight, be as proud of who you are to the best of your abilities...without shrieking at all who are not you.

I too am proud of who I am, but I need no public parade, a flag, a crosswalk, half of CBC articles..nor the need to yell all the marxist/progressive buzz words at folks whom do not share my pride.

I give it a month, and BLM flag goes up too.

Up 60 Down 16

Salt on Jul 31, 2020 at 7:19 am

It’s like some groups need to substitute a pandering government for an authority figure that approves of them and their choices, in order to fill a psychological hole. This stopped being about live and let live a long time ago.

Up 49 Down 19

Clan D. Esstein on Jul 30, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Were they ticketed and disbanded for being within 6 feet of each other?