Photo by Whitehorse Star
This morning’s lengthy power outage was caused by a loss of generation at the Whitehorse Rapids Dam, says Stephanie Cunha, a Yukon Energy spokeswoman.
Cunha explained shortly after noon that officials were still examining what caused the loss of generation.
ATCO Electric Yukon explained in a press release early this afternoon that approximately 12,124 customers across most of Whitehorse and south to Teslin were affected.
The outage began at 8:54. Power was gradually restored across the grid beginning in Riverdale at 10:09.
For some parts of the downtown area, for instance, power was out for 2 1/2 hours.
The 2,218 customers in Porter Creek had their power back on at 11:38. Areas north of Porter Creek were not affected.
Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar
In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.
Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.
- YG addressing shelter problems: minister (42)
- MP, challenger assess latest SNC-Lavalin twist (31)
- ‘This is the lowest point I’ve ever seen the shelter’ (12)
- Activities heat up at Brewery Creek minesite (6)
- Jury dismissed after judge declares a mistrial (5)
- ‘This beautiful garden is planted in unity’ (3)
- Curriculum changes loom on eve of school year (3)
- Man is entitled to review in territory: court (2)