RCMP arrest six following assault
Whitehorse RCMP arrested six people after an assault overnight Thursday into Friday in the city.
Whitehorse RCMP arrested six people after an assault overnight Thursday into Friday in the city.
Police were initially called to an address in Crestview at approximately 1:40 a.m. Friday.
While en route to the area, they received further information that a man had been assaulted and the suspects had fled in two vehicles before police arrived on the scene.
“Information was received from the victim that a firearm was present in this assault, although it was not fired,” police said.
“One suspect vehicle was located and a traffic stop was initiated. One person was safely arrested; however, others in the vehicle fled before they could be taken into custody.”
Thanks to information provided from the public, police located both suspect vehicles shortly after at a downtown apartment building.
General duty officers and officers from the emergency response team attended and located the other suspects.
Five further people were arrested at this location in addition to the one person arrested at the earlier traffic stop.
Rodney Bailey, 48, of Whitehorse, Patrick Blais, 42, of Edmonton, and Dominic Cormier, 24, of Whitehorse, each face multiple charges after a first court appearance on Friday. Charges include the following:
• assault with a weapon;
• possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose;
• possession of a firearm without a licence;
• possession of a restricted weapon with readily accessible ammunition without a licence.
In addition to these charges, Bailey and Blais face additional charges related to being in breach of court conditions.
Others who were arrested and released cannot be identified at this time, police said. They are continuing the investigation.
“No further information will be provided about the victim in order to protect their privacy,” police said.
“Police believe the assault was targeted and that all people involved knew each other.”
Comments (6)
Up 28 Down 4
bonanzajoe on Feb 7, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Maybe it's time the lawful citizens need to do a long protest in front of the Law building. These kinds of perps need to be kept locked up. The public has a right to be protected.
Up 23 Down 3
bonanzajoe on Feb 7, 2022 at 7:56 pm
"Others who were arrested and released". Way to go judgy, keep those revolving doors oiled.
Up 8 Down 6
Nathan Living on Feb 7, 2022 at 5:37 pm
Tough childhoods with some of these characters participating in drug sales to eager customers.
Up 14 Down 3
Lawyers, guns and money… on Feb 7, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Hello Anie - It is not uncommon for many offenders to be on 2-3 or more different Court orders.
You have Judges making decisions based on the information they are allowed to see. The Crown and the Defence serve a gatekeeping function for the Judges - It can be a pretty narrow window sometimes.
Agreed Statement of Facts are often submitted jointly. However, this is often poorly done in the Yukon, and to a lesser degree elsewhere. ASFs are supposed to explicit, detailed, and signed by the offender. The Yukon - Meh!
There have been numerous dangerous convictions here in the Yukon. Likely Crown Prosecutor zeal… Get the conviction, win, win, win…
By the way, breaches are usually used as leverage in plea negotiations… Plead guilty and we will dismiss the breaches.
There are several good books on prosecutorial misconduct… Manufacturing guilt and often, now, manufacturing innocence is in vogue.
Up 25 Down 2
My Opinion on Feb 7, 2022 at 3:15 pm
The revolving door is well lubricated. This will not change until we demand change. I am ready, are you?
Look at the priors on these guys and why are they out?
Up 69 Down 2
Anie on Feb 7, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Before even reading the article, we know darn well that at least one of those arrested will be charged with breach of parole or breach of court conditions.