Whitehorse Daily Star

Image title

Photo by Vince Fedoroff

QUESTIONNAIRE PROVOKES ANXIETIES – Marsh Lake is seen threatening a property on July 29.

Parties hope YG isn’t backtracking on relief

Two government initiatives dealing with the past summer’s flooding are causing some concerns amongst the public and opposition politicians.

By Tim Giilck on October 1, 2021

Two government initiatives dealing with the past summer’s flooding are causing some concerns amongst the public and opposition politicians.

In particular, a questionnaire being prepared by the Yukon Housing Corp. for residents affected by the flooding has earned some swift rebukes for its language from representatives of the Yukon Party and NDP Leader Kate White.

“The Yukon government is considering the development of a flood remediation and recovery program to assist affected Yukoners restore their properties and mitigate against future flooding events,” reads an email obtained by the Star.

“As such, Yukon Housing Corporation has developed a questionnaire to commence engagement with property owners who have been impacted by the flooding.

“Your feedback will also assist us in determining the scope of property assessments to conduct and ultimately determine the appropriate funding support that may be required.”

The email was sent by Marcel Holder Robinson of the housing corporation.

A second email from the Emergency Measures Organization (EMO) is also somewhat ambiguous about a government support program.

That’s something most people affected by the flooding thought was a confirmed promise – not something to be merely further negotiated.

A flood victim contacted the Star this week to make that exact point.

“Moving forward, the Emergency Measures Organization is developing a remediation and recovery program that will advise homeowners on restoring their properties and mitigating against future flooding events,” said the EMO’s email.

“We are working closely with our colleagues in the Yukon Housing Corporation to design a relief programme that will be similar to those established for flooding in 2007.

“We will have opportunities for consultation and discussion with the community. We are planning a public meeting in the next week to discuss with you the plans moving forward,” wrote EMO director Kevin Lyslo. 

White said she somewhat shared the concerns about the wording the government is using in the two emails.

“There are issues with the language,” she said Tuesday afternoon.

“This all leads to a bigger question. What did the government learn from the flooding in 2007, and are they using what they learned?”

White said she hoped this is a case of the language being chosen, not an indication the government is backing away from what it had previously announced.

Yukon Party MLA Brad Cathers shares those concerns.

Cathers told the Star Monday afternoon he sincerely hopes the language in the emails is evidence of government staff simply being careless with what they wrote – rather than being indicative of a bigger problem.

“Looking at the questionnaire, I’ve had residents who are concerned about that language,” Cathers said. “I’ve sent an email to minister Ranj Pillai over it.”

Pillai is the minister responsible for the housing corporation.

“My concern is that the government seems be back-tracking,” Cathers said. “But I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt.”

In his email, Lyslo wrote: “This summer, the Government of Yukon mounted the largest flood relief effort in Yukon’s history to deal with unprecedented water levels.

“The peak water levels were reached on July 11, when Bennett, Tagish and Marsh Lake all measured more than 20 centimetres above the historic flood levels of 2007.

“Lake Laberge reached more than 40 centimetres above the peak in 2007. More than 550,000 sandbags and 2,000 super bags were deployed to protect residents and their properties,” Lyslo wrote. 

“Based on the available forecasts and water level models, we believe that we have witnessed the peak water levels for the Southern Lakes this season.

“Flood risk for properties and infrastructure will continue until water levels fall below normal seasonal high water marks; which is currently projected to happen in late September.” 

Lyslo went on to say: “We thank you for your patience and resilience during the challenges we faced this summer, and I look forward to discussing our recovery plan as it is further developed.”

The housing corporation’s Robinson advised the Star:

“Work is now underway to develop a remediation and recovery program that will assist Yukoners in restoring their properties and mitigating against future flooding events.

“As part of this recovery program, we need to understand the number of properties affected by flooding, and the type and severity of impact during the 2021 flood event.

“The Yukon Housing Corporation has developed a questionnaire to engage with property owners impacted by the flooding. The questionnaire is not an application for funding, but rather the responses will help us in determining the number and scope of on-site property assessments that need to be conducted.

“This information will help frame the appropriate funding program options and extent of support that may be required.

“We understand that some residents have had questions about the email with the flood damage questionnaire and we are continuing to work with these residents to provide clarification.”

Water levels still dropping.

Comments (12)

Up 13 Down 4

Two faced much on Oct 4, 2021 at 1:02 pm

@bonanzajoe
What ever happened to the Conservative mantra of 'pulling yourself up by your bootstraps' Joe?
I guess it's different when YOU need the support of the taxpayer eh?

Up 30 Down 0

YT on Oct 4, 2021 at 7:19 am

These same residents want taxpayer money to bail them out, but also don’t want Yukon Energy to hold back lake levels (in normal years) to help extend hydro production in the winter months. Talk about elite entitlements.

Up 8 Down 10

Woodcutter on Oct 3, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Bozojoe, I remember when conservatives would never go crawling cap in hand to the government looking for handouts and here you confess to not only this but waging a campaign of relentless determination to get a freebee from the welfare programs offered by Yukon Housing.

Have you ever tried to work for a living and pay your own way? Try it, it's really liberating.

Up 41 Down 3

Joe on Oct 2, 2021 at 1:37 pm

Relief??? For what? It's a flood plain and cost millions in 2007. That was supposed to be the 100 year flood and one time support. Those who stayed or bought knowing the risk pay their own way.

Up 17 Down 4

Groucho d'North on Oct 2, 2021 at 12:21 pm

The Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangement (DFAA) was created to help Canadians in the aftermath of disaster events. This funding mechanism has worked well in the past and should now as well...unless YG decides not to access this program because they have to first spend funds in order to be compensated by the federal government. Read all about it: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/trnsprnc/brfng-mtrls/trnstn-bndrs/20191120/023/index-en.aspx

Up 65 Down 1

Nathan Living on Oct 2, 2021 at 10:24 am

Enough is enough already.
Residents should now pay for what it takes to protect their properties in the future. They know what they may be up against.

Taxpayer have helped but it's up to residents now.

Up 46 Down 1

Read between lines on Oct 2, 2021 at 7:52 am

The only people that would: complain, have concerns, didn’t like the choice of words, the tone and aura of email....call the politicians and news papers to avoid filling out a property assessment form.... says it all.

Up 33 Down 9

Adam Smith on Oct 1, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Take your blinders off Bonanza. It looks like the government might be backtracking on paying off everyone who didn't have insurance, which I think they should, and it's the Yukon Party that is wanting to make sure they don't backtrack on this. Why does the Yukon Party think the Liberals should be bailing out all these people who knowingly live in flood zones!? They should be demanding the Liberals NOT do this instead. Conservatives love socialism when they think it will get them a few votes. It's pretty bad when the Liberals are more conservative than the conservatives.

Up 58 Down 3

Moose101 on Oct 1, 2021 at 8:52 pm

All of us have had it with all this money going to the elite on army beach!!!!

Up 47 Down 3

Kurt on Oct 1, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Will there be any charges forth-coming for those who built within encroachment boundary and also any whose septic is polluting public waters?

Up 105 Down 5

Lost In the Yukon on Oct 1, 2021 at 4:41 pm

WTF …so the poor Marsh Lakers living in their million dollar homes, on land well within a flood plain and historic high water marks, having had the government provide them with free labour via the military, sand, bags and by the way, wanting to know when Yukon taxpayers will remove said bags … now want Yukon taxpayers to build them dikes, retaining walls and why not throw in some compensation … nice to know the elite shall not want …

Up 77 Down 5

bonanzajoe on Oct 1, 2021 at 3:19 pm

Why is Yukon Housing Corp. involved in this. Are they planning to give relief money to those affected by the flood? There is only so much money allocated to YHC every year and many old people are trying to get assistance but have to wait years for help - it took me 5 years to get any help from YHC and I had to fight eye to eye and toe to toe to get it. Those affected can rely on their insurance or their bulging bank accounts. I think the Yukon Party should investigate this and keep an eye open. Leave the YHC budget to those who really need it.

Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar

In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.

Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.