A fire at the Whistle Bend care facility early Friday afternoon was caused by a heat gun combined with primer vapours.
According to a spokesperson for the Department of Highways and Public Works, the contractors, PCL Construction, say proper work procedures were followed.
The building was temporarily evacuated midday.
Shortly thereafter, workers were able to return.
No one was injured by the fire, and PCL says the resulting damage will only take a couple of hours to repair.
The facility, costing an estimated $150 million to build, will have a maximum of 150 beds.