Photo by Whitehorse Star
A local man has been charged with several weapons offences and remains in jail, Whitehorse RCMP said Tuesday.
Early last Friday morning, police received a report of a man in a vehicle who was in medical distress. Officers and EMS personnel attended and began treatment.
“While treating him, an illegally modified shotgun was observed in his vehicle,” police said.
“This weapon was loaded, contrary to Canadian law. Further investigation led to the discovery of a second shotgun that was also loaded, as well as ammunition.”
Leonard McGinnis was arrested and charged with the following Criminal Code offences:
• two counts of weapons possession contrary to a court order;
• breaching an undertaking;
• two counts of the careless use of a firearm;
• two counts of the unauthorized possession of a prohibited device;
• two counts of the unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle; and
• the possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition.
McGinnis had already been prohibited from owning any firearms prior to his arrest, police said.
The accused appeared in court and is being held in custody until his next court appearance on Sept. 16.
Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar
In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.
Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.
- Vote split affected outcome, Conservatives agree (27)
- Yukoners to send another Liberal to Ottawa (21)
- RCMP, government apologize over handling of charges against former EA (17)
- Third dose is for immuno-compromised Yukoners (16)
- RCMP offer residents help to prevent thefts in Whitehorse (13)
- Break-in spurs help for store owner (9)
- More cases reported, alert issued (8)
- Candidates assess Yukoners’ verdict (7)