Whitehorse Daily Star

COVID to see school open a week late

Due to lingering concerns over an outbreak of COVID-19 in the village, the Ross River School is delaying its opening by a week.

By Tim Giilck on August 27, 2021

Due to lingering concerns over an outbreak of COVID-19 in the village, the Ross River School is delaying its opening by a week.

Students will return to school classes on Sept. 7, according to a letter from Education Minister Jeanie McLean that was provided to the Star today from the Yukon Party.

Stacy Hassard, the YP’s MLA for the region, had written to McLean on Tuesday asking for clarification on the situation.

Ross River has seen COVID-19 cases in the double-digits for at least a week.

McLean responded with a letter of her own, which is excerpted here:

“I acknowledge and understand the worry and concern that the community is feeling right now. I also recognize families are apprehensive about sending children to school during a period where the close-knit community is experiencing a number of cases of COVID-19,” McLean wrote.

“Let me reassure you that we are actively working with the Ross River Dene Council, the Ross River School and Ross River School Council.

“On Aug. 24, I convened a meeting attended by members of the Ross River Dene Council, Ross River School administration, Ross River School Council, the chief medical officer of health, and representatives from the Yukon Communicable Disease Centre and Departments of Health and Social Services and Education to hear the community’s concerns, understand the current situation and needs of the community,” McLean wrote.

“Today, I have approved in accordance with section 5 and 6, Ross River School Council’s carried motion to exercise authority under section 113(1) of the Education Act to adjust school programming direction for the week of August 30 to September 3, 2021; Under the plan, Aug. 30 will be declared a PD day;

“The PD day previously scheduled for May will be moved to June 13, 2022;

“August 31 to September 3, 2021, will be learning on-the-land or learning for home for all students; and the first day of in-class learning will be September 7.”

Scott Kent, the Yukon Party’s education critic, told the Star this morning he was pleased to see the government taking swift action on the issue.

However, he said he had checked the Department of Education’s website – and there were no updates available announcing the decision.

He said he wasn’t sure why the department wasn’t taking faster action to notify the community.

“There have been a number of concerns from the community being relayed to Stacey Hassard, who is the MLA for the community,” Kent said.

“We’re happy to see the changes so quickly, but obviously they need to find a better way to get this information out.”

When the Star sought clarification on the matter this morning, McLean provided several paragraphs from her letter, rather than a fresh statement.

Comments (2)

Up 2 Down 1

Concerned!!!! on Aug 30, 2021 at 5:49 pm

COVID now at Copper Ridge seniors centre.
Very concerning and why not in the news?????

Up 9 Down 3

Reg on Aug 29, 2021 at 6:41 pm

Kinda seems like Hanley may have either extended lockdown or timed opening to coincide with election. Either his perceived backroom deals with liberals may not have been in best interest of Yukoners. Certainly lost my trust and my vote ABH

Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar

In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.

Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.