Whitehorse Daily Star

Air North wins Over 35 soccer title for first time

Air North dominated Yukon Brewing from whistle to whistle in the first game of over 35s soccer.

By freelancer on February 12, 2021

Air North dominated Yukon Brewing from whitle to whistle in the first game of over 35s soccer.

It must have been the possibility of clinching the league title in the back of their heads, because the boys in blue took it to Yukon Brewing right away.

Ciaran Conolly started the offensive push for Air North by finding the opposite corner of the net passed Yukon Brewing’s keeper, Charlie Hoeller for a 1-0 lead.

The Brew had a hard time matching Air North’s fitness and speed and as a result, substitute Will Chetchuti made it 2-0 before half.

The second half was no different from the first.

Yukon Brewing made a push to find their offensive touch, but the constant pressure from their opponents made it almost impossible as opportunities on net were minimal.

Even the likes of Justin Carre and Miles Hume couldn’t find a crack in the defence as Air North congested their end and limited space.

From there, the Brew found themselves chasing the league leaders around as they were hit with wave after wave of offensive threats opening the door to another goal for Conelly making it 3-0.

It only got worse from there.

The league’s newest goal scorer, Hut Nguyen, was left wide open; not only once but twice, allowing him to find the back of the net on both occassions for a final score of 5-0.

With the game-ending whistle, Yukon Brewing were happy to see the end of the game and quickly put it behind them.

As for Air North, they did everything they needed to do to possibly lock up the league title, however, their fate was in the hands of second-place, KBS.

Yukon Info. comes out on top
in close win over KBS

KBS needed a win to keep their dream of catching league-leaders, Air North, alive.

Short on players, KBS started off on a positive direction toward their goal with an early lead.

Jim Brown put the ball in the back of the net to open the score 1-0 for KBS.

The action went back and forth in a fast paced match-up with both teams just missing the mark.

That is until KBS marksman Matthias Hartmann, made it 2-0 at the end of the first half.

Both teams pushed for goals in the second half, but Yukon Info managed to keep the game close with a goal by Derek Funk.

Funk found his groove as he sent the ball past KBS substitute keeper, JP Ladroe, for his second mark and to tie the game at two.

Yukon Info struck again soon after, as captain Danny MacDonald, found the back of the net with precision and a 3-2 lead.

As time ticked down, KBS’ efforts went up as they vied for a tying goal to keep their hopes alive.

Brown came close, beating the goalie to find a wide open net only to disasterly miss the net by metres.

KBS pushed on, but alas it wasn’t meant to be as Yukon Info held on for a 3-2 win, dashing Yellow’s dreams and handing Air North their first league title in their first year.

Driving Force edges Pepsi 2-1

The last game of the morning didn’t disappoint the fans as Driving Force managed to outlast Pepsi in a hard-fought game.

Driving Force came out threatening from the get go with relentless pressure creating chance after chance.

Pepsi fought back, but soon succombed to the pressure of White resulting in a 2-0 lead with goals from league rookie Mark Chandler and veteran Phil Jackson.

Driving Force continued with their onslaught, but with no luck, as Jackson found himself face-to-face with an open net after beating Pepsi keeper, Cory Adams, only to hit the post.

In the second half, Pepsi pushed offensively and were rewarded with a goal by susbstitute, Mike Zuccarini to make it 2-1.

Both teams pushed back and forth, up and down the field and as the competiveness started to raise so did tempers.

Pepsi captain, the hatchet man Mark O’Brien, picked up another yellow card as he flattened Jackson into the boards from behind.

Jackson also picked up a yellow in return.

Pepsi pushed for the tying goal, opening the field up for Driving Force to add another.

But it must not have been meant to be as Jackson hit another post, as did captain Keith Maguire.

The game ended in a close 2-1 score in favour of Driving Force, but after their efforst fans left excited about the next time these two rivals meet.

Be the first to comment

Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar

In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.

Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.