Whitehorse Daily Star

Murder trial hears from officer who wrote most of the warrants

As prosecutors continue their case against a woman accused of killing an Ibex Valley man, jury members heard from the officer who wrote the majority of the warrants in the case.

By Ashley Joannou on May 24, 2012

As prosecutors continue their case against a woman accused of killing an Ibex Valley man, jury members heard from the officer who wrote the majority of the warrants in the case.

The trial of Christina Asp began in March before Yukon Supreme Court Justice Leigh Gower.

Asp is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Gordon Seybold, whose body was found after his cabin burned to the ground on March 26, 2008.

Whitehorse RCMP Cpl. Nestor Baird was responsible for writing the majority of the 22 warrants used in this case.

These include warrants to intercept mail, confiscate Asp's mother's vehicle and search the family's cabin.

He was also responsible for drafting the request sent to RCMP senior management asking to use an undercover operation to gather evidence.

The jury has heard from multiple undercover officers involved in the operation — dubbed Project Monsoon — which ran from February 2009 until Asp and her boyfriend, Norman Larue, were arrested for murder six months later.

During the undercover operation, the 34-year-old Asp was convinced she had become part of an elite crime organization with the money and power to cover up any crime from the police.

The jury's 12 women and two men have heard multiple recordings of Asp telling her new friends how she and Larue attacked Seybold in his home and beat him before Larue set the cabin on fire.

On the recordings, Asp says Seybold was beginning to get the upper hand on her boyfriend, so she struck the 63-year-old man in the head three times with a bat.

Asp's lawyer, Ken Tessovitch, has suggested she was being wooed by the undercover officers with gifts, money and the promise of "the good life of crime.”

Larue has also been charged with murder and is expected to go on trial separately.

Baird told the court he first began working on the undercover operation's plan in September 2008 after discussing it with other officers over the summer.

Normally, the Yukon's RCMP would rely on an undercover team from B.C. to help with an investigation of this nature, he said.

But in this case, the B.C. team was not available, so an Alberta team was asked to participate.

Asp was released from an Alberta jail, where she had been held for parole violations, just prior to being approached by undercover officers.

The plan's objective was to "find out what role or knowledge, if any, Christina Asp and Norman Larue had in the murder of Gordon Seybold,” Baird said.

Police were also looking to collect evidence and find out if any unknown people may have been involved, he said.

The plan was approved by RCMP upper management on Jan. 19, 2009.

Damage to a vehicle belonging to Asp's mother and Seybold's blood on the floor mat led officers to believe the GMC Jimmy had been at the scene of the crime, Baird said.

But officers were not comfortable laying charges without more evidence.

The trial has already heard that most of the physical evidence in the case burned to the ground along with Seybold's cabin.

The flames did such severe damage to Seybold's remains that no cause of death could be determined.

Police questioned other people who had access to the GMC Jimmy but eventually focused on Asp and Larue.

Officers considered tapping Asp's mother's phone but learned the phone had been disconnected, Baird said.

Jail letters sent between Asp and Larue led investigators to believe the pair would not talk in a standard police interview, he said.

Officers felt they had enough evidence to arrest Asp after she made a number of apparent confessions to undercover officers weeks after meeting them, Baird said.

But police decided to continue the investigation until Larue was released from jail in July 2009.

They hoped the relationship they had built with Asp would lead to more evidence from Larue once he was released, Baird said.

The pair was arrested for murder in Strathmore, Alta. in August 2009, 17 months after Seybold's death.

During cross-examination today, Baird testified there was no way for officers to determine if Asp was telling the truth during the recordings.

Baird mentioned that a budget was included with the request for an undercover operation, but did not testify to how much money was spent.

The Crown is expected to wrap up its case this week.

Be the first to comment

Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar

In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.

Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.