Whitehorse Daily Star

Image title

Photo by Vince Fedoroff

NON-COMPLIANCE – This two-storey garage and potential garden suite is built too close to the side and rear property lines. The owners have asked council to rezone the lot to make the building legal, but city staff are recommending the request be denied.

Don't rezone property, officials advise council

City staff are recommending council bring down the hammer on a brand-new Hillcrest garage and potential garden suite which was built too close to the property lines.

By Vince Fedoroff on May 8, 2012

City staff are recommending council bring down the hammer on a brand-new Hillcrest garage and potential garden suite which was built too close to the property lines.

Administration is recommending that the request to rezone the lot so the new two-storey structure can be legalized should be denied.

Denying the rezoning application would likely mean a significant cost to the owners of the building, which does not comply with proper setbacks, city planning manager Mike Gau told members of council at their meeting Monday night.

Gau said approving the application could paint city hall as a bit of a softy when it comes to enforcing rules and regulations.

"There was the concern that approving a rezoning application for a non-conforming structure would set a precedent for future applications,” reads the administrative report presented by Gau.

"It was also mentioned that approval of this application would send a message to other residents that circumvention of zoning regulations is possible.”

Five of six council members present for the March 26 meeting approved first reading of the bylaw required for the zoning amendment.

Council typically approves first reading as standard practice to allow for public debate and input.

Coun. Betty Irwin was the only member to reject the application at first reading, suggesting the property owners didn't follow the rules – period.

And while Mayor Bev Buckway was away for that meeting, when the matter first hit council's agenda earlier this year, she indicated at some point council has to send a message of intolerance.

Administration is recommending city council reject the request at second reading scheduled for next Monday.

Council has been told property owners James Stuart and Diane Williams obtained the building permit in August 2008.

They did not, however, call for the mandatory site inspection before pouring the concrete slab to make sure the building was properly situated far enough away from the rear and side property lines.

When the first building inspection was conducted in March 2009, the slab with infloor heating had been poured and the framing was complete, without the city having ever been contacted for an inspection.

The improper location of the building was not noted at the time, council has been told.

The city took notice in April 2011 when the owners applied for a plumbing permit as they began to entertain uses other than a garage and second-storey storage area.

Building staff denied the plumbing permit and requested a surveyor's certificate. A stop-work order was issued in November 2011.

Williams appeared before council March 26 to say she and Stuart did everything to make sure things were done right.

They did have an issue with the original contractor early in the project and he was eventually fired, she said.

Williams noted the non-compliance amounts to 15 centimetres (six inches) short of the required 1.5-metre setback on the side, and 45 centimetres (18 inches) on the rear.

It's not as though the building is sitting in the neighbour's yard, she told council in late March.

Williams said having to move the building, which is already clad to weather, would be a real hardship.

When asked last night, the city planning manager said most building contractors know a site inspection is required before footings or slabs are poured.

Ultimately, however, the responsibility to ensure rules and regulations are followed, to ensure inspections are called when required, is up to the property owner, Gau said.

He said inspection requirements are made clear when building permits are issued.

In an interview afterward, Gau explained that because the lot at 34 Roundel is not cut out at 90-degree angles, as most city lots are, only a corner of the building does not comply with the setbacks, and not the entire side and rear walls.

Comments (6)

Up 0 Down 0

Billy Polson on May 11, 2012 at 7:51 am

Seriously folks...so if I break a building regulation, code or bylaw (oops I messed up) I can expect your overwhelming support? Thanks.

These folks messed up and not everyone considers them the devil, but it's so Yukon to just let things slide. Property values are at an all time high and some folks may want to get around the rules a little to cash in. If the Yukon is to be taken seriously it needs to pay attention to stuff like this.

An appropriate fine would send a message.

Up 0 Down 0

the bottom line on May 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

the bottom line is it's their responsibility to make sure that they are building within regulation. if the law was going to allow for an additional 0.75 square feet they would amend it and write it as such.

I do have sympathy for them but again it is literally their own legal responsibility to make sure they abide by the law.

To the person who said this should be demolished please try to consider how far the line has been crossed. Demolition for a few inches?I agree something should be done (large fines) but I think you're being unreasonable.

Up 1 Down 0

Seriously Folks on May 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Hey Polson....

You any good at math....the "infringement" is a total of 0.75 square feet....

Really...seriously....move a entire structure for the sake of 0.75 square feet.

You should all give your heads a shake...Canada and the North in particular has become so over regulated that it is ridiculous. You can't go to the outhouse without permission (wait...only if it was constructed within limits)!!!

What a waste of time, energy and money.

Inspectors CAN give special provisions/discretions....as it is one of the first lines in most code books....try reading one.

Without details, how can one know exactly what happened, maybe this is THE VERY FIRST TIME a contractor has led clients down the wrong path!!!

Seriously people give you heads a shake!!!

Up 0 Down 0

joe public on May 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I can't believe the city is not helping out these people.someone trusts a contractor to build a garage for them and when they get cheated the city won't help them. Perhaps the city could stop giving licences to these incompetent handymen so this doesn't happen again.

Up 0 Down 0

PT on May 9, 2012 at 11:19 am

The building is clearly in violation of the bylaw an should be demolished. Bottom line.

Imagine how the neighbors feel with a monstrosity like this sprouting up next to them.

Up 0 Down 0

Billy Polson on May 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I would suggest a significant fine be levied for non-compliance. Put all on notice moving forward that such 'beg forgiveness later' strategies will not be approved.

Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar

In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.

Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.