Whitehorse Daily Star

Accused's conviction was kept from jurors

When Christina Asp arrived in the Yukon, weeks before the murder she is accused of committing, she was violating her parole.

By Ashley Joannou on June 22, 2012

When Christina Asp arrived in the Yukon, weeks before the murder she is accused of committing, she was violating her parole.

The parole was part of a sentence she was serving after pleading guilty to manslaughter in the 2004 death of her common-law husband.

The conviction was kept from the current trial's jury members, who are deciding whether Asp is guilty of murder in the 2008 death of Gordon Seybold.

The jury was told Asp, along with then-boyfriend Norman Larue, ran away from B.C. halfway houses before making their way to the Yukon leading up to Seybold's death.

They know she had been in prison, but releasing the details of that crime was covered under a publication ban.

Yukon Supreme Court Justice Leigh Gower ruled releasing details of the manslaughter charge would have been too prejudicial to the current trial.

Now that the jury has been sequestered — meaning its members are kept away from all outside contact, including exposure to the media — her criminal history can now be reported.

When Asp took the stand in her own defence, the court was told she had a youth criminal record, a 1998 conviction for assault and that her last conviction was in 2005.

No details of the last conviction were provided.

In fact, Asp pleaded guilty and was sentenced to five years in prison for stabbing and killing Keith Blanchard — plunging a 13-inch butcher knife six inches into his

chest on Feb. 21, 2004.

When she was sentenced in November 2005, she was given about two years' credit for the the 417 days she has already spent in jail, leaving about three years to be served in a federal penitentiary.

Asp's and Blanchard's relationship, which lasted about four years, was volatile and marked by verbal abuse and the excessive consumption of alcohol, Justice Ron Veale said at the time.

The couple had been arguing that day, the judge's decision says.

The fight ended when, while at a house in Pelly Crossing, Asp stabbed Blanchard at around 9:41 p.m.

After the stabbing, Asp asked for an ambulance to be called.

She applied pressure to the chest wound and said, "Hold on, Keith, I still love you. I'm sorry,” the decision says.

When the RCMP arrived at 9:46 p.m., the 28-year-old was still alive. He died in the ambulance at 12:55 a.m. on the way to Mayo.

Both Asp and Blanchard had blood alcohol levels around three times the legal limit at the time.

Shortly after Blanchard's killing, Asp sent a letter of apology to Blanchard's mother.

A letter she wrote to the Blanchard family was also read in court at the time.

As for the latest charge related to Seybold's death, the jury began its deliberations Thursday afternoon and continued until they were sent to a hotel at around 8:30 p.m.

Deliberations began again this morning. Jury members will continue to be sequestered until they reach a verdict.

Critical to the first-degree murder case are things Asp told undercover police officers posing as members of a powerful crime family.

The jury heard recordings of Asp telling the officers she hit Seybold on the head with a bat while Seybold and Larue were fighting.

At trial however, Asp testified she exaggerated her role in Seyold's death to impress her new friends and bosses and to keep her job. She now says she only watched while Larue killed Seybold.

Larue is also facing a first-degree murder charge. He is scheduled to be tried separately.

Be the first to comment

Add your comments or reply via Twitter @whitehorsestar

In order to encourage thoughtful and responsible discussion, website comments will not be visible until a moderator approves them. Please add comments judiciously and refrain from maligning any individual or institution. Read about our user comment and privacy policies.

Your name and email address are required before your comment is posted. Otherwise, your comment will not be posted.